Homemade Apple Crumble Pie - buttery, flaky pie crust with juicy, tender apples baked in a brown sugar and cinnamon sauce, topped with a sweet oat crumble!
Thanksgiving is officially one week away! It’s almost time for pie, and I’m so excited.
So, in preparation for Thanksgiving, I wanted to tell you about one of my favorite pies – Apple Pie! And since I wanted to keep things a bit simpler, we’re going to make an Apple Crumble Pie – AKA no complicated lattice crust, no crimping – just pure buttery, sugary oat crumble magic.
You’ll love how amazed people are when they found out you made a homemade pie! There’s nothing quite like a homemade apple pie for Thanksgiving, and I hope you love it. So go put on some stretchy pants and get ready to eat!
Apple Crumble Pie
1 Pie crust (store-bought or homemade), pressed into a 9 inch pie pan
For the filling:
3 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced thinly
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Pinch of fresh nutmeg
For the crumble:
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup quick cooking oats
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt
Pinch of cinnamon
Whipped cream or ice cream, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Press the pie dough into a 9 inch pie plate; keep the pie plate in the fridge until ready to bake.
2. Heat the 1/2 cup of butter in a large saute pan over medium heat. Once melted, add in the 3 tablespoons of flour. Cook for one minute, stirring, then add in the water, 1/2 cup white sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and pinch of nutmeg. Mix everything together, and simmer for 2-3 more minutes, lowering the heat to medium-low.
3. Place all of the sliced apples in a large bowl, and pour the sauce over them. Stir the apples and the sauce together until well combined. Pour the apples into the pie plate.
4. To make the crumble - mix together the melted butter with the flour, oats, baking soda, baking powder, brown sugar, salt, and cinnamon until everything is incorporated.
5. Top the apple pie with the crumble topping.
6. Bake in the preheated oven until the top is golden brown and the apples are tender, 55-65 minutes. Check on the pie occasionally after 35 minutes, and if the top gets too brown, place a piece of aluminum foil over the top. Stick a fork in one of the apples, and if it goes in easily, the pie is ready to come out of the oven.
7. Let cool, then slice and eat with homemade whipped cream or ice cream.
See the full how-to video here: